Hey Great Lakes THATCampers!
We’re just under a month away from what promises to be a very exciting unconference. We’ve got a full day of workshops on Friday (be sure to email us at glthatcamp2012 [at] gmail [dot] com with your workshop choices if you haven’t done so already!), topped off with a meet-and-greet hosted at London’s own UnLab on the Friday evening. Saturday will be a day of sessions, and it is truly a day that is up to you, the CAMPERS, to make your own. In order to get you started, we’ve put together a list of a few of the session ideas you have suggested in your applications. Now that you are all registered as contributors, you are able to post about what you’d like to see happen on the 21st and 22nd. The more talk there is about the sessions prior to Great Lakes THATCamp, the faster we can get going on the Saturday morning, so please join in and help us out!
A few ideas from your fellow campers:
- Citation studies : Statistical clustering, word usage, what does it all mean?
- Open source software: Community support, expanding limited resources.
- Special libraries: Aiding and developing web projects, their role in DH.
- Enriching DH in our institutions: Helping less tech-savvy colleagues, skill development.
- Metadata: Tagging systems, user-generated tags, word clouds.
- Research Analysis: How to bridge the gap between qualitative and quantitative studies?
- Online Communities: Development in blogs or gaming sites, incorporation into education, virtual worlds.
- Reading Technologies: Digital vs analog, history of the book, pros and cons.
- Museums: Intersection of technology and museum for education
- Apps: Techniques, tools, practicality or “charming junk”?, Augmented Reality platforms for mobile devices.
We’ve booked the UnLab for Sunday as well, so there will be plenty of space to get hands-on projects started, have a hackathon, create collective deep thoughts, or expand on those Friday workshops. If you have an in-the-works project that could use some feedback, there will also be some space for that on Sunday, please email us at glthatcamp2012 [at] gmail [dot] com with details!
Think creative. Think fun. Think crazy.